One of the main goals in managing workers’ compensation costs is returning your injured worker to work as soon as medically advisable. For this, you need to review your account handling instructions, or AHIs to make sure the proper wording and instructions are in place for the adjusters. Knowing the AHIs allows you to design transitional duties or workarounds for your employees and get them back on the job.
Documenting the process of successful workers’ comp management thoroughly is critical. The first step of documenting your process with your claims handling organization is to request a copy of your current account handling instructions.
Write an email to the account executive at your third-party administrator.
9 Steps To Remember When Requesting Your Account Handling Instructions:
- Send an email asking for the most recent version of the account instructions.
- Copy the claims VP at your broker.
- Remind your recipient you have an aggressive return-to-work program.
- Acknowledge your company can accommodate nearly all medical restrictions.
- Mention you have a medical director reviewing all independent medical evaluations and examinations. This establishes the professionalism and thoroughness of your company.
- Note your medical director reviews claims to add details and asks the third-party administrator for additional verbiage corrections or changes.
- Collaborate with the third party administrator on the wording for any changes.
- Summarize by asking again for their suggestions.
- Don’t forget to say thank you and tell them you look forward to their participation on your cost containment team.
Most property-casualty workers’ compensation brokers have someone in their organization that can help put together a post-loss program, however, if you have severe problems, you might want to ask for their most experienced specialists. One has to be a problem-solver to help companies with serious problems correct any type of problem, including a workers’ compensation problem.
Author Rebecca Shafer, JD, President of Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. is a national expert in the field of workers compensation. She is a writer, speaker, and publisher. Her expertise is working with employers to reduce workers compensation costs, and her clients include airlines, healthcare, printing/publishing, pharmaceuticals, retail, hospitality, and manufacturing. She is the co-author of the #1 selling book on cost containment, Workers Compensation Management Program: Reduce Costs 20% to 50%. Contact:.
Workers’ Comp Roundup Blog: http://blog.reduceyourworkerscomp.com/
©2021 Amaxx LLC. All rights reserved under International Copyright Law.
Do not use this information without independent verification. All state laws vary. You should consult with your insurance broker, attorney, or qualified professional.