It’s the week of our industry’s biggest conference of the year. There will be a lot of great content, but I’m looking forward to these 5 sessions:
The Nordstrom Way: Boosting Injured-Worker Engagement
- Speaker: Janine Kral, VP Risk Management, Nordstrom
- Room: South Pacific C Session Number: K1
- Time: Wednesday, December 06, 2017: 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM
At Nordstrom, injured-worker advocacy isn’t just a recent strategy. Learn how the retailer — widely recognized for its customer service culture — has applied its customer-focused approach when engaging injured workers and advocating for their care. Janine Kral will describe how the company’s practices have evolved over time to ensure that injured employees are able to stay on the job and deliver the service level crucial to the company’s bottom line.
Steal These Ideas! Teddy Award-Winning Employers Showcase Their Successful Strategies
- Speaker: Frank Altiere, President, PMA Management Corp
- Speaker: Roberto Ceniceros, Senior Editor, Risk & Insurance Magazine
- Room: Islander B-C Session Number: M2
- Time: Thursday, December 07, 2017: 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM
Gain direct insight into how risk managers and safety professionals created some of the most successful programs in the nation in this roundtable discussion featuring winners of the 2017 Risk & Insurance Teddy Award. Learn their key strategies and tangible practices that drive documented and sustainable results at their companies. You’ll leave inspired with real take-home ideas to elevate your program to the next level!
The Intersection of Medicine and Disability — A Doctor’s View
- Speaker: Marcos Iglesias, CMO, Broadspire
- Room: South Pacific F Session Number: DM3
- Time: Thursday, December 07, 2017: 10:45 AM – 11:45 AM
With qualification for benefit programs like non-occupational disability insurance, social security and workers’ compensation often dependent on a doctor’s determination, claims payers can play a crucial role in helping them make sound assessments. A popular NWCDC speaker, Dr. Marcos Iglesias will help you understand disability-assessment methods and decipher what makes someone disabled, whether it’s a diagnosis or an impairment — and who gets to decide. You’ll discover the value of accurate communications with medical providers and how they can help the injured regain an active life.
Old Dogs, New Settlement Tricks
- Speaker: Beth Savelli, Former Risk Manager, Swissport USA Inc.
- Speaker: Daniel Anders, Chief Compliance Officer, Tower MSA Partners
- Room: Islander F-H Session Number: CM1
- Time: Wednesday, December 06, 2017: 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM
A successful settlement initiative requires analyzing cost drivers across legacy claims to eliminate barriers to resolution, establish whether to settle immediately, or match cases with optimal interventions, such as physician peer review, clinical oversight or legal action. Learn how Swissport, an employer in a high-risk industry, initiated an aggressive settlement process, and discover how you can adopt those lessons to create new claims management practices.
60 Tips in 60 Minutes — Sage Advice for Overcoming Complex Claim Challenges
- Speaker: Barry Bloom, Managing Principal, The bdb Group
- Speaker: Caryl Russo, SVP Corporate Care, RWJBarnabas Health
- Speaker: Kathleen Bray, Corporate Counsel, SFM Mutual Insurance Co
- Speaker: Stuart Colburn, Shareholder, Downs Stanford P C
- Speaker: Bill Wainscott, Manager Occupational Health & International Paper Company
- Speaker: Dawn Watkins, Director of Integrated Disability, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Speaker: Marcos Iglesias, CMO, Broadspire
- Room: Islander F-H Session Number: G1
- Time: Friday, December 08, 2017: 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM
There is greater likelihood now than ever for worker injuries to develop into complex claims. Flawed claims decisions, inadequate medical attention and other missteps can exacerbate resolution challenges. Fortunately, there are opportunities to prevent complex cases and mitigation measures when they reach that scale. In one of the conference’s most popular sessions, a panel of experts from different workers’ comp disciplines will reveal the lessons they learned — providing their sage advice in a lively, fast-paced presentation that will jump start your Friday morning.
See you there!
Author Michael Stack, CEO Amaxx LLC. He is an expert in workers compensation cost containment systems and helps employers reduce their work comp costs by 20% to 50%. He works as a consultant to large and mid-market clients, is co-author of Your Ultimate Guide To Mastering Workers Comp Costs, a comprehensive step-by-step manual of cost containment strategies based on hands-on field experience, and is founder & lead trainer of Amaxx Workers’ Comp Training Center. .
Workers’ Comp Roundup Blog: https://blog.reduceyourworkerscomp.com/
©2017 Amaxx LLC. All rights reserved under International Copyright Law.
Do not use this information without independent verification. All state laws vary. You should consult with your insurance broker, attorney, or qualified professional.