The deadly fact is this: nearly 40 percent of all deaths in the construction industry are the result of a preventable fall. Yet, some employers continue to ignore the dangers and put their workers at risk of a debilitating or fatal fall.
At an apartment complex construction site in Lincoln, (Nebraska) the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration found construction contractors jeopardizing the safety and health of workers. The agency’s inspection resulted in citations for five companies working at the three-building complex.
Federal safety investigators observed seven workers employed by East Framing Inc. of Grimesland, North Carolina, exposed to fall hazards up to five stories high while they did framing work at the site in the 1800 block of P Street.
In addition to East Framing, OSHA cited South Georgia Framers of Statesboro, Georgia, for willfully exposing employees to falls and other safety hazards. The agency cited ProCon Construction Services LLC of Ailey, Georgia, and America’s Best Siding of Fort Collins, Colorado, for exposing workers to hazards on the site.
Inspectors also cited Aspen Heights of Austin, Texas, the controlling employer contractor on the project.
Following its December 2015 investigation, OSHA has issued citations as follows:
- East Framing Inc., subcontracted for framing work, faces $65,450 in fines for one willful and three serious safety violations.
- South Georgia Framers faces fines of $33,000 for one willful violation and three serious violations.
- America’s Best Siding of Fort Collins, Colorado, was issued six serous safety violations and faces proposed penalties of $9,100.
- Aspen Heights faces proposed penalties of $4,500 for three serious violations.
- ProCon Construction Services LLC, faces $3,150 in proposed penalties for three serious violations.
Each company was given 15 business days from receipt of its citations and penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Author Kori Shafer-Stack, Editor, Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. is an expert in post-injury response procedures and part of the Amaxx team helping companies reduce their workers compensation costs by 20% to 50%. www.reduceyourworkerscomp.com. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2014 Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved under International Copyright Law.
WORK COMP CALCULATOR: http://www.LowerWC.com/calculator.php
MODIFIED DUTY CALCULATOR: http://www.LowerWC.com/transitional-duty-cost-calculator.php
SUBSCRIBE: Workers Comp Resource Center Newsletter