- Make same day contact with the employee, employer and medical provider
- Completely investigate the accident details
- Determine if there are issues in regards to compensability
- Establish the nature and extent of the injury to prevent the employee from later adding additional medical issues to the claim and increasing the eventual settlement value
- ·Control the selection of the medical provider in those states where the employer/insurer select the medical provider
- Maintaining on-going contact with the employee and the medical provider
- Arranging for the employee to return to work light duty / modified duty as soon as the medical provider will permit
- ntegration of the medical management into the claim handling activities
- The permanent impairment rating, if any (including an independent medical evaluation in some situations)
- The jurisdictional requirements
- The value of future medical treatment
- The impact of preexisting medical conditions, where permitted
- The employee’s indemnity rate (whether permanent partial disability or permanent total disability)
- The exposure for future indemnity cost
- The cost of litigation, if needed to resolve the claim
- The cost of rehabilitation, if needed
- The cost of vocational training, if needed
- The value of death and funeral benefits, if applicable
- The value of any offsets
- Any other strengths and weaknesses of the both sides of the negotiations
Author Rebecca Shafer, JD, President of Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. is a national expert in the field of workers compensation. She is a writer, speaker, and publisher. Her expertise is working with employers to reduce workers compensation costs, and her clients include airlines, healthcare, printing/publishing, pharmaceuticals, retail, hospitality, and manufacturing. She is the author of the #1 selling book on cost containment, Workers Compensation Management Program: Reduce Costs 20% to 50%. Contact: RShafer@ReduceYourWorkersComp.com.
Editor Michael B. Stack, CPA, Director of Operations, Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. is an expert in employer communication systems and part of the Amaxx team helping companies reduce their workers compensation costs by 20% to 50%. He is a writer, speaker, and website publisher. www.reduceyourworkerscomp.com. Contact: email@example.com.
WORKERS COMP MANAGEMENT MANUAL: www.WCManual.com
MODIFIED DUTY CALCULATOR: www.LowerWC.com/transitional-duty-cost-calculator.php
Do not use this information without independent verification. All state laws vary. You should consult with your insurance broker or agent about workers comp issues.
©2012 Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved under International Copyright Law. If you would like permission to reprint this material, contact us at: Info@ReduceYourWorkersComp.com.