MODEL VIDEO SURVEILLANCE POLICY
After careful consideration, [insert company’s name] (the “Company”) has determined that the use of surveillance cameras is necessary to ensure the safety of employees and company equipment. Such use will improve safety and security by deterring acts of theft, violence and other criminal activity, and increasing the likelihood that perpetrators of these acts will be identified. The Company has created this surveillance policy in furtherance of these purposes and to assist in complying with federal and provincial privacy laws governing the collection of personal information.
- CAMERA LOCATIONS AND TIME OF OPERATIONS
The Company has installed surveillance cameras in the following locations:
[Insert list of locations].
Each of these locations was chosen because of its increased potential for incidents of theft, violence and other criminal activity. They are also areas where employee expectations of privacy are minimal. At each location, cameras will record images only between the hours of 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. All areas subject to surveillance will be identified by signs that are clearly posted at the entrance to that area.
- USE AND RETENTION OF FOOTAGE
- Surveillance cameras shall be used for the sole purpose of deterring theft, violence and other criminal activity. At no time shall the cameras be used to monitor employee productivity or performance.
2. In the event of a reported or observed incident, the recorded footage may be used to assist in the investigation of the incident and may be turned over to law enforcement personnel, if appropriate.
3. At no time will persons other than those designated by the Chief of Security have access to the footage made in the course of surveillance. Personal information contained on the footage shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law.
4. Footage from the surveillance cameras will be kept for a maximum of two (2) weeks unless required for the purposes outlined in this policy. If footage has been used to investigate an incident, that footage will be retained for one year after a final decision is reached concerning the incident.
5. Old footage that isn’t reused or recycled for surveillance will be shredded, burned, magnetically erased or otherwise made permanently unreadable. (workersxzcompxzkit)
Individuals who fail to follow this policy or who use surveillance camera footage inappropriately will be subject to disciplinary sanctions, up to and including termination.
Reprinted with Permission: Just Cause http://www.safetycomplianceinsider.com/
by Bongarde Media Co. (ULC), Jim Pearmain, Product Manager Information Services.
Free Work Comp IQ Test: http://www.workerscompkit.com/intro/
Follow Us On Twitter: www.twitter.com/WorkersCompKit
Do not use this information without independent verification.
All state laws vary.
©2008 Amaxx Risk Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved under International Copyright Law. If you would like permission to reprint this material, contact Info@WorkersCompKit.com